Come watch a class, join in, or try a week. No pressure. We love teaching and it shows in how we teach, we want the kids to develop an appreciation for martial arts and see that discipline can actually be fun! Crazy, right? But when they learn the value of doing a good job on something because it feels good, or putting in effort toward something they want: their whole world shifts. It’s an amazing transformation to watch.
Age Specific Curriculum: It really matters. At different age groups, we are all developmentally working on different things. We have different needs. We know how to address those needs and add challenges as children build on their success.
At UMAC we pride ourselves in understanding the unique needs of different age groups. UMAC instructors are members of the Martial Arts Teachers Association allowing our staff to be on the cutting edge of teaching philosophies to better assist children in being all they can dream.
While we train in several different arts, we follow a code of ethics used in martial arts called “tenets”. And we repeat them in every martial arts class. The tenets give a framework of who we want to be as human beings first and martial artists second. Not only does training enhance the body and mind but it can also uplift the spirit through practicing the philosophies stressed by becoming an amazing person.
The Tenets of Tae Kwon-Do:
- Courtesy– respect, manners: always treat others as you would like to be treated.
- Integrity– Be honest with yourself. Always stand for and do what you know is right.
- Self-Control– Focus your thoughts; control your emotions, your body and your physical and mental reactions.
- Perseverance– Keep working toward reaching your goals and obtaining your dreams no matter how hard or far away they seem. Never give up!
- Indomitable Spirit – Unbeatable spirit. If you get knocked down, either mentally or physically, always get back on your feet.
Additionally, by learning martial arts, kids learn skills such as:
- positive self image
- anger management
- respect for self and others
- improved mental focus
- motor skill development